Saturday, December 29, 2007

Gabby gets out of the box.....

The following is a short story demonstrating how black women are kept in the box. Yet, how easily they can muster the courage it takes to break free....

Devon stared out of the window absently. 'what the hell is up with her? ' he wondered. She's been moody, out of sorts, and distant for weeks!' He was so deep in his thoughts he barely heard his sister rap softly on the door. "Dev, are you gonna eat?" Before he could answer she stuck her blond head around his door. "Did ya hear me, you gonna eat or what?" Devon shook his head and stared at his sister. She had come all the way from Georgia to visit him and he was moping in his room about his girl! He sighed. "nah, not hungry sis-maybe later" Sherry stood there studying her brother for a minute. 'why didn't he get rid of this bitch? she wondered. ' Ever since he'd met this girl, he'd been depressed and on edge. This girl kept him on a roller coaster! 'I know exactly what the problem is' Sherry thought. 'It's simple, really, the girl is black. Black women, seemed to be under tremendous pressure to stay with black men, even when there were no black men to be had.' She thought wryly. She smiled smugly to herself. 'thank God black men are free to date whomever they want!' She had been with her black husband for over 6 years, and although they sometimes got dirty looks from the sistas, Her husband often got high-fives from other black men and the sistas never dared do more than give a dirty look, so it was all good. She turned back to her brother to give him her 2 cents on the subject, but he was on the phone. "Baby, wait-listen......I know but lets talk about it-baby please don't -I love you!" Sherry could not bear to hear the sad-pleading tone in her brother's voice. she turned away quietly and closed the door.......

Gabrielle slipped into the bathroom and leaned her head against the wall, letting the silent tears trickle down her face. 'It's all so damn unfair! ' she seethed silently. Why can't I live my life anyway I want? Why can't I be a doctor? Why can't I be with Devon, and go hiking in the mountains like I've always wanted? How come just because I'm a black woman I have to be what everyone else decides I should be?
She stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her pretty brown coloring came from her very-dark African American mother and her Spanish father giving her what people called, exotic beauty. Jet black curls swirled around her sad-pretty face. Gabrielle brushed them angrily away. 'What was she going to do?'
She felt like the pressure would tear her to bits! The tears came faster when she thought about the horrible things her family and friends had said, when they found out Devon was white. Everyone seemed to have a problem with it, but she had a large family, and she could count the number of black men married to black women on one hand! And if her mother had not decided to marry a non-black man, she, and her sister and brother would not even be here! Her sister rapped hard on the door. "Girl are you comin out or what?"
Gabrielle dried her eyes and catching the doorknob, quickly stepped out. Her sister, Gina, frowned at her tear-stained face.
" Gabby, girl, you gotta do you-don't let them force you to be somthin you not ok?" Gina's 'Latino' accent always grew more pronounced when she was angry.
"Gurl, you know how the BC is! only you can climb outta the box! you gotta make up your mind if you're strong enough to do it!"
Gabrielle nodded, and Gina gave her a reassuring hug before disappearing into the bathroom. Gabrielle braced herself, Half of her family was out back right now for the get-together and combined with some friends, there must be over 50 people out there! She knew without a doubt that her brother had told them all about Devon, He'd been very vocal about his objections to their relationship. She stepped outside onto the large patio, and hid behind a large plant. Immediately, she heard her family and friends talking in, so-called low tones "Well she always did think she was better, kiki, what'd you expect!" Gabrielle recognized the voice as belonging to Grace, her mom's best friend. "Yeah, Ms Donna from next door interjected, You messed up kiki, you got that gurl thankin she white!" Several others murmured in agreement. "An she think she too good for a brotha! Kurtis added. He was a friend of her brother's and had always liked her, but Gabrielle had never been interested. For starters, she had always believed he had absolutely nothing going for him, and his recent jail stint, combined with 3 baby mamma's had proved her right. 'Yeah, better I should be with a loser like you!' she thought bitterly "God knows, you're always lookin for another baby-mamma!' She squeezed her eyes shut and wished she could be somewhere else, anywhere except here with these catty-selfish people. She had to strain to hear her mother's words Nikita Williams Torres stood up with a look on her face that meant trouble, she surveyed the people all around her, and narrowed her large eyes. "She's grown, she has her own mind and she has a right to be with whoever she wants! " Her mother's face was red with anger.
"I did not mess up!" She said forcefully, her voice rising. "I raised my child to do what was best for her-and not be a token for the black community to toss around and use up!"
She paused and glanced at Gabrielle's father, who smiled fondly at her.
"They didn't want me t'marry my husband either but I did, and we've been very happy -"Now any of you gotta problem with my baby -get the hell outta here because she is going to do what makes her happy and the rest of you be damned!!!"
Gabrielle did not realize she had been holding her breath until it came out in a whoosh! She stumbled from her hiding place and threw herself into her mother's waiting arms. Her mother's strong arms encircled her and held her close, until she stopped shaking. Pulling away, Nikita looked at daughter closely.

"baby remember what mamma always told you-don't let nobody who can't die for you -live for you!, "
"you gotta live for yourself! ya hear?" "yes, momma" Gabrielle murmured, through her tears.
She stole a glance at the group in the yard. They were all pretending to look away, some were so obviously angry, they were leaving, but Gabrielle didn't care she was going to find Devon. Rushing past the gate, she ran smack into Devon, His face was set in a determined mask, oblivious to all the people watching. He snatched Gabrielle up into his arms before she could catch her breath.
"I'm not giving up that easily!" He stormed at her.
"You may think I'm a fool, but I need you, you mean the world to-" Gabrielle cut him off with a deep kiss that left them both gasping. "I'm not giving up either!" She told him, breathlessly. "I need you to, more than you know!" She tightened her arms around Devon's large shoulders and hung on. instinctively she knew she had barely 'escaped' the box, and she wasn't about to let anyone pull her back in......


13 Comments:

At Saturday, December 29, 2007 , Blogger Sophisticatedblkwoman said...

I'm so happy for Gabrielle, she reminds me of myself and how I get portrayed as a bw "I'm not real" for wanting to date wm. I can't wait to find my white knight, but for now I know it's best to focus on my education. Hopefully one day! :) Great story

 
At Saturday, December 29, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I’ve said in another post, I refuse to adamantly defend black men but I refuse to put them down either. Sara I like your blog, but sometimes I get the impression that many of the women on here are glorifying white men. Have you guys never encountered extremely mean racist white people ever? This stops me from thinking so highly of them as a whole. Many nice white individuals exist though (just like all races). I’ve also encountered very bad blacks and people of all races that’s why I try to view groups of people, black, white, etc. in a neutral manner and treat everyone as individuals.

Sophisticatedblkwoman, I hope I don’t offend you but the “white knight” thing doesn’t settle very well with me, but this is just my opinion and I respect yours. I’ve encountered some very bad white people. I like individuals not groups of people.

Anyway, nice blog Sara and I look forward to reading more. :-)

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 , Blogger Taylor-Sara said...

Angela I see your point but this was not a white knight story. It was a getting out of the box story. and If you read it all the way through, you know that sherry (devon's sister) was also married to a black man she was very happy with (obviously he was a good man) This was not about putting anyone down or up, Gabby was just trying to do what was best for HERSELF-which is what ALL women should do!

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara,

I read the story and it was nice. I definitely understood it. :-)

I’m just stating what I’ve noticed about posters on this blog and other bw/wm interracial blogs in general. I guess I should have stated that my post was rather off topic...

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 , Blogger Sophisticatedblkwoman said...

To Angela, no you didn't offend me I agree. I have wm friends that are just horrible and I plan to cut off, some prefer only bw and I truly feel sorry for the ones that may end up with them. :)

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

From reading these posts I get the impression some of us are out on cloud nine when it comes to white men/interracial dating. It’s quite possible for black women to attract men of all races but the lack of respect people have for us in general can’t be denied. Why don’t more white men post on these blogs? These blogs attract many black women but few white men. This is quite telling, indeed.

I know I’m off topic again. My apologies. Good night...

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 , Blogger Sophisticatedblkwoman said...

Angela, I've noticed this too. I would love to hear from more wm.

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 , Blogger Taylor-Sara said...

Ladies, hate to disapoint you but you will never have a lot of men on a blog about relationships! now if we were talking about football, we'd be overrun(LOL) but most men will never be big on sitting around talking about relationships-Thats def. women all the way!

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 , Blogger grant said...

Sara:

You are spot on, you just aren't going to find many guys who will put in the work needed to read and comment on a blog like this or any of the other IR blogs for that matter. Sorry to disappoint you ladies, but it's just the nature of the beast-LOL. You will find a few brave souls, but not many and not often.

Like your post Sara, good thing she had a mother who "had her back" and gave her the extra strength she needed to overcome those who wanted to keep her in the box. Tradition, fear, the vested interests of those who have a misguided perception of what is important in a BW's life, are obstacles that can seem insurmountable without the "help" that blogs such as yours provide.

 
At Sunday, December 30, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taylor-Sara said...
"Ladies, hate to disapoint you but you will never have a lot of men on a blog about relationships! now if we were talking about football, we'd be overrun(LOL) but most men will never be big on sitting around talking about relationships-Thats def. women all the way!"


You have a point. I’ve noticed there are more women on most message boards/blogs. I guess we are more “social”. :-p Guys need to open up more! LOL!

 
At Thursday, January 03, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ladies! I am suffering from a case of insomnia and so here I am. First of all, I just wanted to say that if you are talking about the actual dating website, there are just as many wm responding as bw. When you are talking about sites with discussions you dont get the wm.
Now I just wanted to also say that when I was growing up, the brothers were still dating bw, although the light, bright ones were always the favorite (I am in my late 30's) However, the Naomi Campbell, exotic beauty phase in America was kind of good to the dark skinned sisters like me. Some brothers came around and wanted to date a pretty dark girl. I have to say it is really wild going out right now for "a night on the town" with the girls. The things we encounter are unbelievable! When you go out into my downtown area half of the couples are ww/bm. It is interesting though because just like the statistics, you will see about one bw/wm couple for about every three of the bm/wm couples. I have to say though that I do see more bw/wm couples than I have ever seen before in my life! The rest are single, black women. Seeing all of this had gotten me to the point to where I actually was not as excited about going out with the girls. It was so embarrassing. And on a couple of occassions, I would see ww looking over with a smirk on their face to see if me and my girlfriends were watching. Going out as a single black woman now ...you know that there is something that NEEDS to be done about this situation. Brothers act so arrogant toward you and they dont even look your way. My light skinned girlfriends dont really have it any better because none of them are in a relationship. Well one is actually and it is with a wm. He treats her like a queen. Other than than everyone is smart, very attractive and very single. I mean we are tall, dark skinned women with nice personalities, nice teeth, smooth skin, nice features, slim but with curves. All have degrees, some with advanced degrees and we are alone! When hanging out with the girls, the situation is so deperate that you can even smell the competition among the bw and ww. I have been totally depressed about the whole thing. One day last week, I just happened to google ir between wm/bw. Sara's blog came up. I read her articles and saw all of the ir couples and I started to think about other dating options. I read the articles regarding the 70% of bw and the rationale for us dating out. I know that we need to explore other options. WM definitely flirt with me more since the increase of bm/ww dating but I never paid it any attention. Now I will be paying attention to these men and actually making sure that I have a wide pool to date from. I feel so much better and I am going to spread the word about all of the blogs to all of the women that I know. It is funny because I was just saying to my girlfriends how this is probably the best thing to ever happen to bw. This is probaly a blessing in diguise because it forces us to look elsewhere. Having this many amazing black women who are alone is unnatural. With ir we will get to see what we have been missing. I was of those loyal bw. I now feel that it is crazy to have that kind of loyalty to anyone who does not appreciate me. When I was out last weekend with my girls, we were discussing ir. One of the girls stated that she still can't do it because she needs to see dark skin in her bed. She said that she will be waiting it out. You guys need to have your blogs featured in Essence, Ebony, hair magazines and anything geared to bw. This is definitely going to be a good year for me and the beginning of something new. Thank you so much. I love you!

Also, I know that there are a lot of wretched white people out there so I am not going into this with blinders on! In fact as the ir between wm/bw increase (as it is now), you will begin to see ww at their worst! It is inevitable the a couple of sisters will begin to take some of their cream of the crop men. It is already evidenced in the wm/bm listing of couples and I personally know a bw who married a very wealthy, generous wm. And no one thought that he would marry her!

 
At Friday, January 04, 2008 , Blogger LaLuneBrune said...

I think more black women should learn to 'think for themselves', rather than let others do the thinking for them. I come from an African background, and the way I was raised was to be an independent thinker, although majority of Africans are thought to think as a group. I dont have the time to argue with an ignorant person who doesnt approve of me dating white men or having a white boyfriend. I have experienced situations where some black American men are totally ignorant of the fact that I had my white boyfriend/date with me, and they would make ridiculous sounding comment, or even touch my belly right in front of him! Some people just have absolutely no manners! Ladies, you all need to think for yourselves and seek YOUR OWN happiness and fulfillment in life. If people dont like you dating interracially, fuck them! That includes family too! Your family should NEVER give you an ultimatum in your relationshipss, if they truly love you. People shouldnt object to yoru relationships just because your mate is of another race..... thats blatant racism!

 
At Friday, January 11, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANONYMOUS, I enjoyed your comments. More and more bw/wm relationships are growing and yes ww are just beginning to show their rears. For a great while bw have been made fun of because some showed their rear when seeing bm/ww. But now the tables are turning. This is only an observation that I see. ww can show rear just as much as bw. As a matter of fact---simply more sly with it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home